Update: THIRTEEN confirmed dead as US officials point the finger towards ISIS affiliate The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – Khorasan Province group (ISKP) or (ISIL-KP). Taliban claim to have warned US troops of ISIS threat and state they will not allow terrorists to use Afghanistan as a base for their operations.
US officials “strongly believe” the Kabul Airport attack is the work of the ISIS–Khorasan, with a source familiar in intelligence activities stating this attack has “all the hallmarks of an ISIS-K attack”. US officials warn that more blasts could occur at Kabul Airport, Reuters is reporting.
Officials say there is increasing concern about more attacks at the airport.
— Idrees Ali (@idreesali114) August 26, 2021
Latest Updates: Afghanistan Crisis
- US Officials warn more attacks could follow the earlier suspected double suicide bombing attack on Kabul Airport.
- TALIBAN condemned the bombings at Kabul Airport and said that the blasts occurred in an area controlled by US forces.
- A gunman open fired on a crowd in front of airport gates.
- The UK transport secretary, Grant Shapps, warns airlines to avoid flying in Afghani airspace below 25’000 feet.
- FOUR US MARINES have been injured in the attack, BNO reported.
- Irish Special Forces successfully complete a mission to extract 26 Irish Citizens amid Kabul Airport Chaos.
- UK Defence Ministry confirms no UK Military or Government Agency staff were injured or killed in the Kabul Airport attacks.
- A Kabul hospital has reported that around 60 patients have arrived from the airport explosions so far. It is believed that the vast majority of casualties are women and children.
- Boris Johnson, British PM, is chairing an emergency meeting of Cobra upon being updated about the ongoing Afghan situation
U.K. PM Boris Johnson says US troops have been killed in the attack at Kabul airport.
This has not yet been confirmed here in the US where sources are saying that 3 US marines have been injured. pic.twitter.com/KhXqgDRuzE
— Mark Stone (@Stone_SkyNews) August 26, 2021
اسلامي امارت د کابل په هوايي ډګر کې په ملکي خلکو چاودنه په کلکه غندي، یاده چاودنه په هغه سیمه کې ترسره شوې چې د امنيت مسئولیت يې د امريکايي ځواکونو په لاس کې دی.
اسلامي امارت د خپلو خلکو امنيت او ساتنې ته کلک متوجه دی، د شر غوښتونکو کړيو مخه به په کلکه سره ونيول شي.
— Suhail Shaheen. محمد سهیل شاهین (@suhailshaheen1) August 26, 2021
“The Islamic Emirate strongly condemns the bombing of civilians at Kabul Airport, which took place in an area where security is in the hands of US forces. The Islamic Emirate is paying attention to the security and protection of its people, and evil circles will be strictly stopped” – Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen
#BREAKING: at least 43 killed and 130 wounded in Kabul airport attack. ISIS claimed responsibility.
— Tajuden Soroush (@TajudenSoroush) August 26, 2021
Tajuden Soroush, Senior Correspondent at Irani International, claims “at least” 43 killed and 130 wounded in today’s Kabul Airport Attack.
Following the shocking scenes in Afghanistan today, I have issued a NOTAM (Notice to Aviation) further advising airlines to avoid Afghan airspace under 25,000ft. We will continue to keep this under review.
— Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP (@grantshapps) August 26, 2021
The UK transport secretary, Grant Shapps, warns airlines to avoid flying in Afghani airspace below 25’000 feet in a statement on Twitter today.
Statement on this morning's attack at #HKIA: pic.twitter.com/Qb1DIAJQJU
— Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder (@PentagonPresSec) August 26, 2021
John Kirby, Pentagon Press Secretary, released a statement on today’s attacks in Kabul.
We can confirm that a number of U.S. service members were killed in today’s complex attack at Kabul airport. A number of others are being treated for wounds. We also know that a number of Afghans fell victim to this heinous attack.
UPDATE — More than 60 Afghan civilians were killed and 150 others were wounded in Kabul Airport explosions, a health official told us. #Kabul #KabulAirport
— Ehsanullah Amiri (@euamiri) August 26, 2021
Ehsanullah Amiri, Wall Street Journal Correspondent for Afghanistan, revealing a source reported 150 injured and 60 Afghan’s killed in the suicide bombing
I'm following with grave concern the situation at Kabul’s airport & strongly condemn today’s horrific terrorist attack.
The incident underscores the volatility of Afghanistan, but also strengthens our resolve as we continue to deliver urgent assistance to the Afghan people.
— António Guterres (@antonioguterres) August 26, 2021
António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, expresses his concerns about today’s attacks on Twitter and “strongly condemns” the terrorists’ actions.