Airlines are quickly scaling up operations for the coming months, with new exciting routes announced every day. Earlier this week, United Airlines has announced a portfolio of new routes for Summer 2022.
The new services include five brand new destinations for the airline and more flights to existing destinations and routes resuming after being interrupted because of the pandemic.
One day before the official announcement, United Airlines posted a video with some cryptical hints on its social media channels: followers were invited to guess some of the destinations, with the chance of winning free seats for one of those flights.
Let’s have a closer look at the international expansion of United.
Five new cities, which are not served by any other North American carrier, will be added to the airline’s network for the summer season:
- Amman (Jordan) from Washington Dulles – 3 weekly flights starting on 5th May 2022
- Ponta Delgada (Azores, Portugal) from Newark – 3 weekly flights starting on 13th May 2022 (increasing to daily between June and August)
- Bergen (Norway) from Newark – 3 weekly flights starting on 20th May 2022
- Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain) from Newark – 3 weekly flights starting on 2nd June 2022
- Palma de Mallorca (Balearic Islands, Spain) from Newark – 3 weekly flights starting on 9th June 2022
Interestingly, the service to Ponta Delgada will be operated by a Boeing 737MAX 8, making it the first transatlantic operation for United with this model, for a 2576 miles (4146 km) flight.
More services to existing destinations
Five more cities will see an increase in United’s operations during next summer, specifically:
- Munich (MUC) will get a new daily flight to Denver from 23rd April 2022, in addition to existing services to Chicago, Houston, Newark, San Francisco and Washington
- Dublin (DUB) will get a second daily flight to Newark from 23rd April 2022, in addition to existing seasonal flights to Chicago and Washington
- Berlin (BER) will get a new daily flight to Washington from 6th May 2022, in addition to the existing flight to Newark
- Milano (MXP) will get a new daily service to Chicago from 6th May 2022, in addition to the existing flight to Newark
- Rome (FCO) will get a second daily flight to Newark from 26th May 2022, in addition to existing seasonal flights to Chicago and Washington
A comeback: Tokyo trio, India, Nice
In addition to the new services announced, seven routes are set to resume by next Summer after being interrupted because of the pandemic.
- From 26th March 2022, Tokyo Haneda (HND) will be served from Newark, Los Angeles and Washington, with one daily flight each
- From 23rd April 2022, the Newark-Frankfurt (FRA) route will get a second daily flight, and a daily Chicago-Zurich (ORD) flight will be opened
- From 29th April 2022, the seasonal flight between Newark and Nice (NCE) will restart with daily operations
- From 26th May 2022, the daily flight between San Francisco and Bangalore (BLR) will resume
All flights are already bookable on united.com.
Are you excited to see so many new routes opened by United Airlines? What might be the next destination coming to their network? Let us know in the comments.