Turkish Airlines Rebrands as “Türkiye Hava Yolları”

Turkish Airlines will now be known as Türkiye Hava Yolları, Turkish president says


Türkiye Hava Yolları

Turkey’s national carrier is about to be rebranded, following an announcement from the country’s president on Tuesday. Speaking at the launch of the Türksat 5B Satellite, President Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the airline will now go by its Turkish name: Türkiye Hava Yolları (Hava Yolları simply translates as “Air Ways”). Commenting on the change, the president said:

“We have taken a symbolic step by changing Turkey’s name in the international sphere to ‘Türkiye’. From now on, the fuselage of our planes will be marked not as Turkish Airlines but as Türkiye Hava Yolları,”

The change comes as a part of a broader initiative to start using the Turkish name of the country internationally. A few weeks ago, the United Nations accepted a request from the country to formally change its name from Turkey to Türkiye (pronounced Tur-Key-yeh). The name change has been adopted by several other international organisations, including NATO.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan | © BBC news

Government officials say the name will help “preserve and glorify the culture and values of our nation”. The Government owns a 49% share of the national airline, with the remaining 51% publicly traded.

What does this mean for the airline?

The name change will require Türkiye Hava Yolları to repaint its entire fleet of over 342 active aircraft. The airline is the 12th largest in the world by fleet size and boasts over 330 destinations worldwide, so there is a lot of work to be done.

THY Türk Hava Yollari old livery
An old livery featuring the Turkish name | © M.Oertle/Flickr

Though it may be strange for an airline that prides itself on its international connections to choose a domestic name, it’s not unheard of. Carriers such as Lufthansa and Aer Lingus have done just fine with names in their local languages. It could even be that the airline goes by its acronym, THY, in the manner of KLM (Koninklijke Luchtvaartmaatschappij) or TAP (Transportes Aéreos Portugueses).

What are your thoughts on the name Türkiye Hava Yolları? Let us know in the comments below!

Subscribe to our Weekly Digest!

More News

Air Canada’s Air-to-Rail Connections Set to Create Seamless Travel Itinerary

Air Canada has just unveiled a groundbreaking initiative called...

Christmas Spirit For 2023 Sees Air New Zealand’s Latest Festive Video.

High-flying action meets Christmas spirit for 2023 in Air...

Alaska Airlines And Hawaiian Airlines To Combine Networks After Purchase

Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines have announced they will...

Pakistan International Airlines’ Boeing 777 Returns To Karachi After Engine Failure

On Saturday, December 2nd, Medina-bound Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)...
Josh McMinn
Josh McMinnhttp://joshmcminn.com
Jr Reporter - Josh is an Jr. Aviation Reporter at Travel Radar covering the latest industry news, developments and passenger experiences. Outside of reporting, Josh is a talented artist and camera operator with experience spanning several industries.


Please enter your comment!