| © REUTERS / Regis Duvignau

Indian low-cost carrier IndiGo suffered a bomb threat scare this Thursday. A scheduled flight from Jayprakash Narayan Airport, located in Patna, to Indira Gandhi International Airport – Delhi’s international hub – was grounded following claims from a passenger that they were carrying a bomb in their bag. 

Once the individual was detained, and a thorough investigation of all bags on-board was made, no signs of any explosive material/device were found. Regardless, the flight was cancelled as a precaution. 

Further Details 

On 21 July IndiGo flight 6E 2126 was commencing its scheduled service from Patna, the capital city of the Indian state of Bihar, to the capital of India, Delhi. The flight was to be operated by an Airbus A320neo registered as VT-ITL. The Indian carrier has a total of 132 A320neos in service. 

The flight was normally due to leave Patna’s Jayprakash Narayan Airport at 20:20 local time and arrive in the capital at approximately 22:10 local time (IST). 

However, a passenger made the claim that they had a bomb in their bag shortly after boarding was complete. The plane, therefore, did not depart. All passengers deboarded as the situation unravelled. 

Security officials at the airport were altered to the matter as well as the bomb disposal squad. The bomb disposal squad then proceeded to check all bags on board as well as the entire aircraft – even sniffer dogs were deployed. 

Ultimately, the passenger’s claims were thankfully unfounded as no bomb was found and the plane was declared safe after three hours of meticulous investigating. 

IndiGo operates primarily from its hub at India Gandhi International Airport in Delhi with a total fleet size of 277. | © REUTERS / VIVEK PRAKASH

IndiGo preferred to remain cautious by cancelling flight 6E 2126 regardless. Passengers were unfortunately made to handle further disruption as a consequence. 

Local police arrested the passenger who made the false allegations. According to reports, the individual was mentally unstable. 

Station House Officer Vinod Peter commented on the unruly passenger when talking with The Times of India:

“According to Bedi’s parents, their son works in a private company in Patna and they live in Delhi. Few days back, they get the call from the company that their son’s sound unwell and they should take him. They reached to Patna and were returning back to Delhi on Thursday evening. After the trio boarded the flight, the man was reluctant to go. Before closing the aircraft’s door, he started shouting that there is bomb in the flight. Immediately the CISF personnel detained him for questioning. Luggage of all passengers and aircraft will be thoroughly checked.”

The IndiGo replacement flight for the stranded passengers left Jayprakash Narayan Airport at 9:27 the following morning and landed at Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport at 10:45 local time. 

Let us know what you think about this story in the comments below.


Please enter your comment!