August Ascent In Air Passenger Traffic At Mumbai Airport

Mumbai International Airport has experienced a 400% increase in air passenger traffic during the month of August 2021 compared to the same period in 2020. This can be attributed to August being a critical festive season in India, combined with the fact that some countries where India receives a substantial amount of its air traffic have eased travel restrictions to India. Indeed, Mumbai International Airport handled around 1,600,000 passengers during August 2021, as announced by the airport’s operators on Tuesday 7th September 2021.

Mumbai Airport Handling The Majority Of International Travel In India

Approximately 90% of air passenger traffic stemmed from domestic travel across India, whilst the remaining 10% resulted from international routes serving Mumbai International Airport. However, it is expected that the proportion of international travel to Mumbai should increase gradually over the coming months, with further festivals scheduled on the calendar, such as Diwali (festival of light), bringing about numerous public holidays.

Air Passenger Traffic Surging Again | © Mid-Day
Air Passenger Traffic Surging Again | © Mid-Day

The key stakeholders responsible for the rise in domestic air passenger traffic were Vistara, Indigo, and Air India. The latter two were also responsible for the rise in international air passenger traffic, alongside Qatar Airways. In summary, approximately 785,479 passengers arrived at Mumbai International Airport during August 2021, whilst 801,677 departed for domestic and international destinations.

Covid-19 Compliance Measures Paying Off

Mumbai International Airport’s Operators, have amongst other initiatives, introduced an express Covid-19 PCR Test that delivers results within just 13 minutes.

A spokesperson for the airport said, “With the easing of restrictions, there has been an increase in air passenger traffic, and thus, a majority of Indian states and international countries require a negative RT-PCR certificate. To make one’s travel hassle-free, CSMIA has established over multiple counters of testing facilities at Terminal 2 for international and domestic passengers.”

Has the pandemic affected your travel plans to or from Mumbai Airport this year?

Subscribe to our Weekly Digest!

More News

Alaska Airlines And Hawaiian Airlines To Combine Networks After Purchase

Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines have announced they will...

Pakistan International Airlines’ Boeing 777 Returns To Karachi After Engine Failure

On Saturday, December 2nd, Medina-bound Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)...

British Airways launch new way to save Avios points on World Duty Free purchases 2023

British Airways has recently released ways for Executive Club...

Beyond 2050: Is Sustainable Air Travel Possible In The Long-Term?

Is sustainable air travel possible in the long-term future?...
Ranjit Shergill
Ranjit Shergill
Aviation Reporter - Based in London, UK, Ranjit has a love for opinions and analysis, and so got into writing as it presented a golden opportunity for him to share his views across a large landscape of readers. Ranjit is addicted to travelling, whether it be the dangerously exciting backroads of Central America or a cycling journey across the River Danube. He loves to embrace cultural hotspots and feels that travelling combines exciting adventures with humbling life experiences. Outside of travel, Ranjit enjoys public speaking, darts and loves a bargain!


Please enter your comment!