The Italian flag carrier, ITA Airways, is taking part in the Sustainable Flight Challenge in 2023 as a result of its success from the previous year when it won two honours.
Last year, ITA Airways earned the title of “Best Employee Engagement” as well as first place awards in the categories of “Greatest CO2 Reduction Medium-haul” and “Best Waste Management,” showcasing the company’s workforce’s cooperation and work ethics.
The Sustainable Flight Challenge
The Sustainable Flight Challenge (TSFC) was created to push the aviation sector towards innovation that would lead to a sustainable future. SkyTeam, a significant airline alliance with member carriers all over the world, initially introduced TSFC in 2022.
Between May 15 and May 28, 2023, 22 participating airlines will participate in this year’s contest to deploy the greenest solutions and win prizes in 31 categories. This problem, which affects both airborne and ground operations, is a step closer to a more sustainable future for the aviation sector.
The competition includes four flights operated by ITA Airways that prioritize greater sustainability, a Rome Fiumicino-Miami full circle flight booked for 20 May, followed by a Rome Fiumicino-Barcelona full circle flight booked for 28 May.
ITA Airways Participating In Sustainable Flight Challenge
• The Airbus A330 will be used for the first two flights, which will take place on the intercontinental Rome Fiumicino-Miami route. On May 20, flight AZ630 will depart Rome Fiumicino at 10:40 and arrive in Miami at 15:55. On May 21, flight AZ631 will depart Miami at 19:25 and arrive at ITA’s Fiumicino hub at 11:35.
• The other two flights will be worked on the global Rome-Barcelona course with an Airbus A320neo. Flight AZ074 withdraws from Fiumicino on 28 May at 09:00, showing up in Barcelona at 10:50, and flight AZ077 around the same time, leaving at 11:40 and showing up in Fiumicino at 13:25.
ITA Airways Promotion
In addition to the usual operational procedures, ITA Airways will develop and incorporate a number of extraordinary activities on all flights in collaboration with all departments. All ground and flight operations will be affected by these activities to improve efficiency and reduce impact on the environment:
From course arranging and air terminal taking care of to trip to explicit on-board exercises intended to restrict CO2 emanations however much as could be expected.
Among the activities will be:
- Choice of aircraft and use of Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF), a biofuel produced from various waste materials that can reduce emissions by up to 80% compared to conventional jet fuel
- More sustainable catering, with attention to supply chain and seasonal produce
- Waste recycling and use of compostable materials instead of single-use plastic
- Dedicated passenger experience also includes a digital newsstand service
- Use of carbon offsets by supporting environmentally friendly projects – natural or social – certified based on accredited and internationally recognized standards.
Since its inception, ITA Airways has made sustainability one of its strategic cornerstones. The company’s fleet renewal is essential to its sustainability plan; by the conclusion of the plan, 80% of the fleet will be made up of newer models of aircraft, using 25% less fuel and emitting less CO2.
ITA Airways & SkyTeam
By providing access to a vast global network that serves approximately 1,000 destinations in over 170 countries, ITA Airways as a member of the SkyTeam Alliance is dedicated to offering our passengers an experience that is constantly enhanced.
What’s more, the SkyTeam Coalition guarantees simple and effective exchanges, the chance to procure and reclaim miles across part carriers and, through SkyPriority, an exhaustive arrangement of need administrations.
What do you think of ITA Airways’ achievements? Let us know in the comments below!